In most cases, those who wish to come to the United States for an extended period must acquire a visa. Options include nonimmigrant visas for temporary visits or immigrant visas for permanent stays. You’ll need a student visa to study English in the United States. The courses you select for your studies and the type of school you choose to attend for your education determine whether you’ll need an F visa or an M visa. You may also need a financial sponsor.

Who Can Be a Sponsor for an F1 Visa in the United States?
Before applying for a student visa, you must be approved to attend a SEVP-certified United States institution. If you’re a student looking to study English in the United States, a parent, relative, employer, or fiancé can be your sponsor for an F1 visa in Las Vegas. You can also use your personal funds, any available assets, or property that you can convert into cash to sponsor your time in the United States.

When you apply for a student F1 visa, you’ll need to show that you have the financial backing to cover tuition and the cost of living in the United States. You may even need more than one sponsor.

The funds you need to attend a school in the United States must be readily available. Planning to obtain employment while attending school is only enough if you have already received a job offer that is related to your academic program. For instance, officials may accept a job as a teaching or research assistant as proof that you have the funding you need. However, promising to acquire work in the student union is not enough to confirm financial support.

Colleges often release the cost of living for each school year in their catalogs. You can also find this information on your school’s website. Consider this cost estimate information to determine how much financial support you’ll need to cover the cost of your education.

If you’re coming to the United States with a J-1 visa, you must be sponsored by a nonprofit organization or an educational institution.

How to Confirm Your Financial Backing

f1 visa in the united states

Most schools have forms available for international students to help them confirm their financial backing. Along with asking you to verify the source of your funding, you’ll need a notarized signature from the person or company providing you with financial support. You’ll also need documentation from the sponsor’s bank verifying that the funds are available to pay for your education.

If you are able to sponsor yourself, then a bank statement should suffice. Bank statements are also usually enough if a friend or a family member is sponsoring you. If you’re receiving financial aid from a government, organization, company, or school, documentation verifying that you have the financial support you need will be required.

You can confirm financial support using an award letter or a signed letter that’s on a piece of paper with the company’s letterhead. You must also sign the form confirming that the information you’re sharing is correct. You must fill out school forms in English, and Bank statements must also be translated into English. Also, the funds must show what the amount would be in U.S. currency.

Forms for a Student Visa Sponsorship

f1 visa

Depending on your student visa type, be sure to get a 1-20 or DS-2019 form. If you have an F1 visa, you’ll need the 1-20 form. If you’re going to be in the country learning with a J-1 visa, you’ll need the DS-2019 form. Students with a J-1 visa must coordinate with their program sponsor’s responsible officer to obtain the DS-2019 form.

If you’re coming to the country under an F1 visa, a designated school official will issue you the 1-20 form. The Student and Exchange Visitor Information System (SEVIS) is the online SEVP database that tracks information regarding international students. Keep in mind that SEVP requires students who are requesting a nonimmigrant visa to pay a 1-901 SEVIS fee. The United States Congress established the fee in 2004, and the country requires it along with the school’s SEVIS administrative fees.

The 1-20 and DS-2019 forms feature essential information about your degree. For instance, the forms will detail the program you intend to study. It will also have the start and end dates of your education program. It will include your financial sponsors and additional personal information that you shared when you were applying for an F1 visa.

These forms are critical since they include verification that you are enrolled at a SEVP-certified school. Once the institution has issued your 1-20 or DS-2019 form, then the information from the form will be added to SEVIS.

Keep in mind that if your sponsorship is coming from a family member, then along with confirming bank and fund details from a statement, they’ll be required to provide a Form I-134. This form confirms that they agree to fund your studies and help you with your living expenses. If a non-family member is providing the funding, then they’ll also need to submit a Form I-134 in addition to a written statement explaining why they are covering the costs for you to study in the United States. You can access these forms online at the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services webpage.

Tips for Obtaining Sponsorship

f1 visa in the united states

If you don’t have a readily available sponsor, begin the process by reaching out to your existing connections with businesses near the college or school you’ll be attending. See if your connections have parents or family members who have a company that would be willing to sponsor your education. You can reach out to local, national, or multinational companies.

Collect Your Documents
Before your F1 visa interview, you’ll need to collect a few documents. These include:
• The passport that permits you to travel to the U.S.
• Your application for a nonimmigrant visa
• The receipt for the application fee payment
• Your picture

Your consular officer will also need to see your academic preparation documents, such as your diplomas, transcripts, and degrees. Make sure that you arrive at the interview with the standardized test scores needed by the school you are attending in the United States. Your consular officer will also confirm with you that you’re planning to leave the United States after you complete your studies.

The UCEDA School in Las Vegas
At the UCEDA School, we hire top teachers who will help you learn English. Our schools are located in areas that are convenient to major airports. We also make sure that affordable housing is available. We can help you determine whether you need a sponsor for your F1 visa in the United States. By attending the UCEDA School for English classes in Las Vegas, you’ll have the opportunity to learn in a city that will entertain you. For more information about what we offer, call us at (702) 586-3131.

f1 visa